The neighbourhood

Uffizi

The Uffizi are just 3,100 feet from Casa Pinti. Firenze owes a great deal to Anna Ludovica, the last descendant of the Medici family, because she stipulated in her will that no part of her property should ever leave the city, thus ensuring that the art works accumulated by her family over a period of…

Ponte Vecchio

Just 3,900 feet from Casa Pinti, this is the oldest bridge in the city and until the construction of Ponte alla Carraia in 1218, it was the only one in Florence. In the times of the Roman Florentia there was already a wooden bridge very close to where today’s bridge stands. This was substituted by…

Santa Croce

Just 2,000 feet from Casa Pinti, the Santa Croce complex has always been closely connected with the Franciscans, who established themselves here around about 1227. Soon after the death of St. Francis, they built a small church on the site of the present-day Santa Croce, which they enlarged in 1252. The remains of this first building…

Baptistry of San Giovanni

Just 2,800 feet from Casa Pinti, the Baptistry of San Giovanni is thought to be the oldest monument in Florence. The first known mention of it was in a document dated 897, but the exact date of its construction is not known. In the Middle Ages, it was believed that it had been a temple…

Piazza della Signoria

Piazza della Signoria is just 3,000 feet from Casa Pinti. The site on which Piazza della Signoria was built was occupied in the period of the Roman Florentia by a large theatre. In the Middle Ages, modest houses and alleyways sprang up there. The land was the property of the powerful Ghibelline family of the…

Duomo of Florence

Just 2,000 feet from Casa Pinti, Santa Maria del Fiore was constructed on the site of the old cathedral of Santa Reparata, which had been built in the time of Bishop Zanobius in the early decades of the 5th century. The initial project was to enlarge the original cathedral, but in 1294 the Council of…

Accademia Gallery

Just 2,300 feet from Casa Pinti, this museum owes its fame to the extraordinary collection of works by Michelangelo. Besides a collection of XIII-XVI century Florentine painting, there is also a collection of plaster casts and another of Russian icons. The gallery was established in 1784 by Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo, who wanted to offer the…